Inherited Garden

 

Just over 10 years ago we purchased and moved into this house. 
The previous owner was a gardener. The glorious gardens were a big part of what attracted me to this property. a big block, plenty of room for our kids to run about and play, abundant birdlife, tank water and a potting shed! So many beautiful blooming things.

What I didn't take into consideration was that with two young children running about and growing up there was no time for looking after a beautiful garden and as the years passed we removed multiple garden beds for ease of maintenance. Borders are now overrun with grasses and insidious blue periwinkle, through neglect.

Birds drop seeds of Honeysuckle, Ivy, Privet and other free growing weedy things from the very tall tree tops; lately I see a lot of Lilly foliage emerging under the trees.

I always considered myself a gardener but recently I've come to realize I like/d growing things but was not really a gardener. I love plants and flowers; I grew things in pots and sometimes planted in beds but I wasn't a gardener. I resentfully pulled out weeds, got overwhelmed left it for months until they grew back and around the cycle went.

I have realised that gardeners are planners, gardens involve elements of hardscaping not just soft scaping, there's trial and error, there are groupings, focal points
and vistas to be considered. Environment, soil health and location all play a part. 

At this point in time I have a mind to build a beautiful garden, I think I'm growing into a gardener!